What should my next steps be?
I hope you can provide some words of wisdom as you really seem to know your stuff! To summarize, I've had CTS for several yrs now (at least since 2014). I have done various things and symptoms have gone up and down. I think I had many causes, one of them being my posture at my computer, which I have since adjusted and stopped doing Crossfit last yr, which is why my symptoms have changed I feel.
I saw a surgeon last yr, lets just say I didn't go back as I felt he was very condescending, then he shortly retires. I had an EMG done a few months ago (December 2016), but do not have a copy but sorta remember the results. I saw another surgeon yesterday and not sure if I want to go back as he didn't allow enough time for me to get all of my questions out. I feel more stressed out now than I did before the appointment. For the hands, I remember the numbers being 4 and 5 something. 4+ was for left, 5+ was for my dominant right. Not sure if it was both for sensory and motion, but he did say it was about a 30-40% reduction. Elbow was a 42, at least one of them. I don't remember if both elbows, I'm guessing so. Based on my moderate severity, he is recommending cts release and ulnar nerve decompression.
From what I can remember and what I was understanding he was saying is either my tunnel decreased in size over time, causing the pressure or my tendons enlarged, causing the pressure. I was not able to get it out, but if it is because your tendons have enlarged, is not possible to get them to shrink? Have you ever seen someone's EMG results with those kind of numbers ever go back to normal without surgical intervention? I guess this is the one question that I can't keep thinking about.
I have done so many things, but I didn't know about the ulnar nerve and now I'm wondering if most of my current symptoms (most of them) are from the ulnar and not median. And should I try wearing an elbow brace at night and see if that gets better and with that, it might just be possible that I have the EMG done in a month or two and everything could be better. That's what I would like to hope for, but don't know if that is just wishful thinking and I should just stop thinking that right now.
You are talking about cutting two different things on both arms. I could handle endoscopic CTS, but now both elbows? I financially support my family. I just want to make sure I can't make my symptoms go away and reverse the damage without surgery.
If all of that isn't enough, my wife is a teacher and she is off during the summer, which is so important to have her help me. You are talking about doing one side at a time, recovering between the two and we have some things going on this summer. So I need to get something figured out soon, but I need to at least get my symptoms to decrease as I'm just tired of dealing with it at this point. Too chronic. On top of that, my thought is can I still heal this without surgery if I start bracing my elbow and is there enough time to show results that would show up in an EMG test, all before I need to decide if I'm going to do the surgery. I would say first surgery needs to happen in June.
Thank you so much for any input you can provide and I understand anything you say, can only be based on what limited info I've shared. It has to be better than what I can find online and what's floating around in my head.